Riverbank ancient quarter of Hanoi
In the past this quarter was called Thanh Ha, a village of Hau Tuc canton in Tho Xuong District, a big northern district where the Tay Ho land with the Tran Vu bell sound and Tho Xuong cock crow is located.
Quan Chuong City Gate
Location: It includes Hang Chieu, Hang Buom, Hang Khoai, Nguyen Sieu streets and others which connect the Quan Chuong City Gate with Dong Xuan Street.
Characteristic: In the past this quarter was called Thanh Ha, a village of Hau Tuc canton in Tho Xuong District, a big northern district where the Tay Ho land with "the Tran Vu bell sound and Tho Xuong cock crow" is located. On the main dome of the Quan Chuong City Gate remain three engraved words "Dong Ha Mon" means Dong Ha Gate. The word "Ha" in the name of places like Thanh Ha, Dong Ha and Ha Khau only emerged in the first half of the 18th century. "Ha" means tile Red River (also called Cai River).
Old town in Hanoi
In the first half 19th century, Thang Long was renamed Hanoi which means the inner city of tile river. Before the 18th century Ha Khau bore the name Giang Khau The word "Giang" was changed to "Ha" to avoid the name of Lord Trinh Giang (1729-1740). At that time Giang Khau was one of the 36 wards of Thang Long. From the Ly Dynasty (1009-1225) to the Tran Dynasty (1225-1400) the number of wards increased to over 60. Tile local people in these wards retained farming but mainly lived on handicraft making. Later they were involved in trade and services or pro goods for trade on-the-sport. The reason why Dong Ha Ward was renamed Hang Chieu (Mat) ward was that in the mid - 19th century this ward was engaged in selling mats and bowls. The mats from coastal villages and the bowls from Bat Trang and An Quang (Mong Cai) were transported on the river to Thang Long - Hanoi through Dong Ha Gate. So the Quan Chuong City Gate was a commercial hub Hang Chieu Street in particular and Hanoi in general and the boats and ships travelling through Giang Khau Gate. It was tile busy trade in this estuary that formed Hang Buom (Sail) Street which was engaged in producing cloth and reed sails and repairing the torn ones. During the early period of the national resistance war (1946-1947) the house at No. 85 Hang Chieu Street, was the headquarters of the soldiers and the streets running to the Red River were tile place where the soldiers of the Capital Regiment of Volunteers for Death raised troops. On the first day of the Dinh Hoi lunar year (January 22, 1947), the Capital Regiment held a farewell party to the capital and then crossed the Red River to go to the resistance base. After nine years of resistance war (1946-1954), many units of soldiers including tile Hanoi Volunteers for Death, returned to liberate the capital.
At present many historical and cultural relics remain in the ancient streets even through the urbanization of the last years of the 20th century. They have been preserved as beauty cultural features to be transferred to the 21st century.
Please click "Hanoi tours" to see more pictures of Hanoi - Vietnam