- No visa required for travel less than 30 days: Citizens of Thailand,
- No visa required for travel less than 15 days: Citizens of
- No visa required for travel less than 90 days or several visits within 6 months: Citizens of France holding valid diplomatic or official passports
- No visa required for travel less than 60 days: Citizens of Chile holding valid diplomatic or official passports.
- No visa required for travel less than 60 days: APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) Holders from Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) member economies
- Special Phu Quoc Exception: Foreigners and Vietnamese nationals bearing foreign passports who enter Vietnam through an international border gate and then travel to Phu Quoc Island and stay in Phu Quoc less than 15 days will also be exempt from visa application. Passports must be valid for at least 45 days. After arriving in Phu Quoc Island, if visitors want to travel other localities or stay in the island for more than 15 days, the immigration department will be responsible for issuing visas right on the spot.
- No visa required for Japanese citizens who hold valid diplomatic or official passports
How do I apply for a Vietnamese visa?
There are 2 ways to obtain a visa:
If you arrive to Vietnam by land, it is NOT possible to get a visa on arrival. You must obtain the visa beforehand, as outlined in Case 1. (The one exception is the Moc Bai land crossing, at the Cambodian border –see Case 2).
Collect your visa before arrival from your closest Vietnamese embassy or consulate. For a complete list of Vietnam’s embassies and consulates worldwide, please click here
Collect your visa on arrival at Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City or Danang International Airports.
In both cases, Vietnampathfinder Travel Vietnam can help you obtain your visa prior to arrival or upon arrival. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU OBTAIN YOUR VISA BEFORE ARRIVAL TO AVOID LONG DELAYS AND POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS AT THE AIRPORT.
Vietnampathfinder Travel Vietnam can process your visa application and obtain the necessary visa approval from the Vietnamese Immigration Department. For this, we need the following details from all applicants:
- Full name as it appears in your passport
- Date of birth DD/MM/YY
- Passport number
- Issue date and expiry date of your passport
- Place of issue (e.g. New york)
- In Case 1 only: Location for you collection of visa, e.g. Vietnam embassy in New york
- In case 2 only: Arrival date in Vietnam and flight number (e.g. 24th of March 2006 by Vietnam Airlines flight VN532) and Port of entry (e.g. Ho Chi Minh City, Tan Son Nhat airport)
The process usually takes about 5 working days after we receive the above information. After this, we will send you the official document approved by the Vietnamese Immigration department.
The official document in Case 1 is an “approval letter”.
The official document in Case 2 is a “visa picking up upon arrival approval letter”.
Case 1: Visa before arrival
Bring the “approval letter”, your passport and two recent passport-sized photos to the Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate. The person collecting the visa must also complete two application forms at the embassy or consulate. A visa stamping fee is charged by the Vietnamese embassy or consulate. Fees vary from one country to another.
Vietnampathfinder Travel charges a service fee to obtain your “approval letter” from the Vietnamese Immigration Department if you do not book other services with us.
Case 2: Visa upon arrival
Please remember to take your passport, 2 recent passport-sized photos and the “visa picking up upon arrival approval letter” with you to check in for your flight to Vietnam. NOTE: if you do not have this letter at the time of check-in, the airline staff will not allow you to board the aircraft. Before departure, prepare some bank notes in USD to clear visa stamping fees on arrival. On arrival at Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi or Danang International Airports, head to the Landing Visa Counter. Present your “visa picking up upon arrival approval letter”, passport and 2 pictures to the officer who will charge you a Visa stamping fee. Then, head for the Immigration desks.
Vietnampathfinder Travel offers free of charge for service to obtain your “visa picking up upon arrival approval letter” from the Vietnamese Immigration Department.